Social Work Continuing Professional Education Series (Professional Development, Non-Credit)

When does the Social Work Continuing Professional Education Series launch?

The series kicks off with speaker Jan Fook, Ph.D. who will offer “Nurturing our professional integrity in challenging environments” as a two-day, non-credit, on-campus training on 11/14/19 from 12:00pm – 5:00m EST and 11/15/19 from 9:00am – 4:30pm EST.

How much does it cost to participate in the Nurturing our Professional Integrity in Challenging Environments training?

The fee for this two-day training is set at $250 per individual, and $200 for groups of two or more who register together. These rates apply to all participants regardless of your residency.

What do I need to do to prepare for the workshop?

Participants are asked to identify an example of an event (critical incident) they experienced, which they felt was significant to their own integrity as a professional. They should choose an incident which they are prepared to share in a group, and which they would like to learn from. The incident can have happened in the past. The experience should be a specific event, and should be described clearly, in writing (no more than half a page). This description of your incident may be used in the group as raw material for you to critically reflect upon. Please bring your written description to the workshop.


  • Try to preserve the confidentiality of other people in the story (change names/identifying features of main people in the story if you need to)
  • Describe:
    • A brief background/context of the story
    • Why you chose it (ie. why it is critical/significant to you)
    • A clear description of the incident (ie. a factual statement of what happened, what you felt/did, rather than your reflections on it

Are CEU’s Available?

CEU’s are provided through the Department of Social Work.

Is Federal or Institutional Financial Aid available for these events (professional development, non-credit)? Also, is tuition remission available for UVM employees?

No. While participation in the non-credit Social Work Continuing Professional Education does not qualify for federal student grants or loans, University of Vermont scholarships or UVM tuition remission, depending on your home state, this training may qualify for workforce development grants. Contact your State Department of Labor to determine which grants may support individuals seeking education to pursue opportunities for career change.

Are payment plans available for the events in this series (professional development, non-credit)?

No formal payment plans are currently available for this training. Tuition balance must be paid in full at least two weeks prior to the start of the training.

What is the payment policy for this program?

Full payment is due at time of registration. This is payable via credit card. All payments must be paid in full no later than two weeks prior to the start of this offering. If payment is not received by then, you will automatically be dropped from the course the following business day. Refunds will be issued less a $25.00 cancellation fee.

What is the refund policy for this program?

If you need to cancel your attendance, you must notify us via email at noncredit@uvm.edu or call us at (802) 656-8407 at least three business days prior to the start date of the course to receive a full refund, less a $25 cancellation fee. If a medical condition necessitates cancellation/withdrawal (documentation provided), this will be reviewed by our Studies Committee for any type of refund.

I’ve participated in workshops before, always by registering with the Social Work Department directly. Why this new process?

Over the past year, Social Work and the College of Education and Social Services (CESS) have been working with our professional partners in the field to offer our high-quality trainings in more formats than we have in previous years. Through this new process, we hope to expand our scope of offerings to attract a wider community of practitioners. This work is aligned with the CESS’s Strategic Plan and builds on the “College’s historic prioritization of teaching, research, and service that are student centered, family-focused, community engaged, culturally competent and collaboratively designed.” We are working closely with our partners in UVM’s Continuing and Distance Education to provide these enhanced services.

I’m interested in taking more classes related to Social Work but don’t wish to complete a master’s program. What are some options, and where can I get more information?

It is sometimes possible to enroll in up to 9 credits in the master’s program without being a matriculated student. A portion of these credits can be transferred into the MSW program later.

For more information about available courses for non-degree students, please contact the Social Work Department at social.work@uvm.edu or 802-656-8800. For more information about master’s and doctoral programs in the College of Education and Social Services, please visit: https://www.uvm.edu/cess/programs_majors_minors