Do you want to reduce stress for you and your team?
Project management practices equip individuals with vital skills to steer projects towards success. By reducing uncertainty, managing risks, and controlling change, teams with effective project management deliver on expectations with less stress and frustration. These practices have been used for decades and are organized into new courses so anyone can learn and apply them.
Individuals who take these courses will demonstrate to employers and co-workers they have core Project Management knowledge and skills aligned with the Project Management Institute’s (PMI) standards. They will be able to help on projects starting-up and on projects underway. What sets this UVM program apart is (1) its focus on practices appropriate for any project (2) the blueprint showing when to use a practice and (3) the interactive exercises to gain confidence in applying the practices.
To earn the Certificate, two courses must be completed. Participants can complete one course and receive a Digital Badge for that course, but those completing two of the courses will receive the Certificate in Project Management Practices badge and the ability to download a certificate of completion. They cover how to initiate, plan, execute and close a project. Throughout, an interactive case study provides attendees with practice preparing project charters, stakeholder registers, scope baselines, project schedules, and risk registers. Special attention is also paid to effective communications, cultivation of high-performing teams, and conflict resolution.
Attendees of these classes can also earn PDUs from PMI.
Course 1: 4 Technical and 2 Leadership
Course 2: 3 Technical and 3 Leadership
The two courses required for the Certificate emphasize project management practices for today’s organizational, cultural, and economic world. Through instruction, dialog and real-world examples and exercises, attendees will be able to:
- Prepare a Project Charter
- Conduct a Stakeholder Analysis
- Create a Work Breakdown Structure
- Develop a Project Schedule
- Create a Risk Register Communications Plan
- Manage Project Changes and Risks
- Leverage basic project management skills throughout a project life cycle
Certificate in Project Management Practices:
Course 1: Setting Up Projects for Success
Course 2: Successful Project Delivery
This Certificate is ideal for someone…
- seeking to reduce stress and frustration because they are on a project that is out of control or not going anywhere
- responsible for delivering something important but not sure what to do
- who knows what needs to be done but keeps running into roadblocks
- seeking to add concrete evidence of Project Management skills to their resume
- curious about Project Management and wants to decide whether to pursue it as a career or to get a Project Management Institute (PMI) certification
- who is comfortable participating in class, has at least 1-2 years’ work experience, and familiar with typical office tools like Excel, Word etc.
This Certificate is not as appropriate for someone
- looking to prepare for a PMI Certification exam. The reason is the material covers a subset of material in the exams and focuses on applying Project Management in real life versus passing tests. That said, the Certificate fully aligns with the PMI’s PMBOK Sixth AND Seventh editions and introduces concepts from these standards which may appear in the exams.
- needing PDUs. If someone wants PDUs it means they have already have a PMI Certification and the material will be familiar. However, people can be PMI certified and still feel uncomfortable with applying Project Management in real life. For these people, this Certificate will be beneficial and 12 PDUs will be earned.
Why this Class?
For the audience above, this class offers the following advantages
- The Certificate is built on the latest approaches shown to support rapid acquisition of new skills. This means time is spent explaining and then immediately practicing the skills needed to be a project manager in the real world.
- The Certificate has sifted down the hundreds of project management concepts, techniques, etc. to the dozen skills that people need to start managing projects. Once someone is comfortable with these skills, they can add then easily learn other techniques on their own when the need arises.
- The Certificate is built on a Blueprint showing when the skills are most needed in the lifecycle of a project. Most classes don’t include a sufficiently flexible and detailed process for project management activities. This leaves students unsure about when to do something or reluctant to jump into a project already underway. Again, once someone is comfortable with the Blueprint, they can readily adapt to other ways of working as the need arises.
- The Certificate address the topics of conflict management and team building using specific scenarios that occur in the real world. Many classes teach theories and models for these topics which are abstract and often difficult to translate into circumstances people face day to day.
- The Certificate gears content to a general learner and not someone from a Fortune 500 company or software team.
To register for the Certificate in Project Management Practices:
- Step 1 – click on register now
- Step 2 – select the first workshop ‘Setting Up Projects for Success’
- Step 3 – complete the registration page
- Step 4 – add both courses, “Setting Up Projects for Success” and “Successful Project Delivery” to your cart before check-out
- Step 5 – boom, you’re done! Wait for the confirmation email and see you in class!