I’m interested in learning more about becoming a certified teacher in Vermont. Whom should I contact?

Please send an email to Roman Vogel in the College of Education and Social Services at Roman.Vogel@uvm.edu expressing interest in becoming a certified teacher in Vermont, and your question will be routed to the appropriate Graduate Program Coordinator. You may also phone us at 802-656-2936.

I haven’t been in school for years. Is this program for me?

UVM wants to support your investigation or pursuit of coursework and/or a graduate degree leading to a teaching license. With a call to our advisors, we can help direct you to sources of information, refer you to the appropriate faculty member, and/or walk you through the process of enrolling at UVM for the first time. We know that the needs of a working professional may be different than those of someone new to a profession, or one who is eager to leave their current position.

How long will it take me to complete the master’s program?

The short answer is that you could be licensed within one year. Factors that vary the timing of completion include which of the three specific graduate programs you select (each requires 30-36 credit hours of coursework), your ability to proceed on a full- or part-time basis, and whether your undergraduate coursework fulfills the subject area of interest. After consulting with our Graduate Program Coordinator for the specific master’s degree of interest, you will have a clear sense of when you could be licensed and in your own classroom!

I’d like to apply. What are the basic steps?

I am a Veteran. May I use financial aid for Veterans to help me become a teacher?

First, thank you for your service, and yes, absolutely. UVM has an office that provides services to Veterans. Please contact David Carlson or his support staff by phone at 802-656-0581 or by email at veterans@uvm.edu. Further information about Veterans Services at UVM may be found here: http://www.uvm.edu/~veterans/