This once-in-a-lifetime travel opportunity will give you the chance to learn about and soak up the sights and sounds of New Orleans! Experience the rich musical environment in New Orleans and the cultures that have supported it, as you learn about these musical styles: Traditional Jazz, R&B/Funk, Cajun, Zydeco, Brass Bands, Mardi Gras Indian music. The trip will also include a day of community service, as well as visits to important natural and cultural sites in and around New Orleans.
This course is set up in a non-traditional format that will let you travel and study without going to class every week!
- Hybrid format: combines 4 face-to-face meetings with online work throughout the semester and travel to New Orleans during spring break
- Weekly online discussions and listening exercises/assignments allow students to engage more deeply with the course’s content and hone their listening skills and appreciation of New Orleans music
- Final grades are determined by participation in online discussion and other assignments spaced throughout the semester rather than exams
- Participation in the trip to New Orleans is a required component of the course
- Visits to the Barateria Nature Preserve , Jazz Historical Park, as well as such iconic New Orleans locations as the French Quarter, French Market, St. Charles Ave. streetcar, St. Charles mansions, Mississippi River ferry, and the Lower Ninth Ward.
- Opportunities to sample New Orleans’ distinctive world-class cuisine at such eateries as Dick & Jenny’s, Bacchanal, Elizabeth’s, Joey K.’s, and the Café du Monde.
- Opportunities to hear many styles of New Orleans music at such venues as Rock ‘n’ Bowl, Preservation Hall, Tipitina’s, Maple Leaf, and various outdoor and impromptu locations.
- Daytime temperatures in March in the 60’s and 70’s!!
Advantages to traveling to New Orleans with UVM:
- Employers like to see a diversity of experience during undergraduate years.
- Tuition is already a part of your spring semester and no extra cost to you versus staying on campus (not including program fee and airfare).
- Travel with UVM faculty, who are very knowledgeable about the area with frequent trips under their belt. Your safety and wellbeing is their primary objective.
- Enjoy a small group to really get to know your classmates!
- Meet new students from different majors, but all with an interest in travel and music and culture!
- Learn from UVM faculty in an “off-campus setting”!