Join OLLI Director Cathi Cody-Hudson and OLLI Assistant Director Krista Hamel for an exciting journey to…
Iceland: A Week of Wellness
Dates: May 10-18, 2019
Number of Participants: 16 minimum
Registration Deadline: Closed
Trip Itinerary (PDF)
**Itinerary subject to change.
Photo Credit: Reuben Brough
Treat yourself to a week of wellness in Hverageroi, the hot spring capital of Southern Iceland. Immerse yourself in life at NLFI, Integrated Health Center. This center recently won an award as the most innovative European Health Spa. This is a working rehabilitation and wellness center where Icelandic and European people come for wellness treatment. Here we will study the integrated model of health care used at the clinic for the past 50+ years that is just recently being introduced to the University of Vermont Medical Center and the University of Vermont College of Nursing and Health Science.
We will take educational classes in mindfulness, imagination therapy, nutrition, healthy sleep, balance / fall prevention, and the Icelandic health care system. We will exercise daily in the warm water with pool walking, aquatic exercise, swimming, water yoga, or a floating relaxation class. We will have the opportunity to take classes in yoga, balance training, dance, and take a daily trek in the hills surrounding the clinic. You will select an individual treatment of your choice including a geothermal mud bath, a mineral bath, acupuncture or a massage. A week of wellness would not be complete without healthy food. So we will enjoy a mostly vegetarian and organic diet with no refined flours or sugars served at NLFI. Many of the vegetables served are grown in the green houses on premise year around. The town of Hverageroi is famous for its green houses that are heated by the geothermal activity under the ground.
Your Icelandic wellness week also includes learning about the region and culture with an evening lecture in the town church on the history of Iceland and afternoon tea with the Mayor of the town. We will even be treated to an evening concert of Icelandic music including our own NLFI host.
We will stay at the NLFI clinic for the full week as this is a very central location to many of the unique geological attractions of Iceland. Local guides will lead us on 2 ½ day trips to see the wonders of the region including the Golden Circle, the Þingvellir National Park, Gullfoss Falls, Stokur Geysir, Selfoss the Blue Lagoon, Fontana Hot Springs, and the Hekla Volcano.
Since health and the environment are so intricately related, we will be treated to an energy tour of the clinic and the Energy Park that feeds the Blue Lagoon completely refilling the lagoon every 36 hours. We will learn about the sustainability model of energy use in Iceland unique to its rich supply of geothermal energy.
Photo Credit: Reuben Brough
Program Fee: $3490
Accommodations: Participants have 3 accommodation options.
- A basic twin share room within the NLFI Clinic (2 single beds, 2 dressers, 1 bathroom, linens and towels provided). This is double occupancy and is included in program fee listed above.
- A basic single room within the NLFI Clinic (1 single bed, 1 dresser, 1 bathroom, linens and towels provided) (If opted and assigned, program fee listed above, plus an additional $150 per person)
- A basic apartment for 2 people located on the property and a short walk outside to the clinic. Apartment has a full kitchen, bathroom and 1 bedroom with a king size bed and a pull out sofa bed in the living room. (Note: there are only 3 apartments, so they are available on a first come first serve basis) (If opted and assigned, program fee listed above, plus an additional $150 per person)
Price Includes: Register Now
- 7 nights accommodations at NLFI
- 3 healthy vegetarian meals and occasional afternoon teas
- Meals include hot and cold buffet at all 3 meals a day with mostly organic locally grown food, local fish is served 2 days a week (no alcohol, no caffeine, no refined sugar or flour is served) Gluten free options are available.
- Coach transportation including road tolls and parking fees
- English speaking guide throughout
- Entrances to the National Park, the Blue Lagoon, Fontana Hot Springs, The Energy Plant, and Kerio Crater
- Use of the pools and groups exercise classes at NLFI
- Educational lectures and experiential classes taught by NLFI clinical staff and UVM Clinical Faculty Member, Dr. Westervelt
- Your choice of an individual treatment session of a mud bath, herbal bath, acupuncture, or 20 min massage
- Guided Hike up the Warm River Valley including a swim in the natural hot river. Walking requirement is 8 km up and down hill and on uneven terrain. (If opted for, it is an additional $110 per person)
Price Does Not Include:
- International airfare
- Ground travel to/from airport
- Trip insurance
- Personal expenses e.g. telephone calls, laundry, etc.
Please read the following requirements to ensure this trip is a good match for you. Program directors reserve the right to modify activities for individuals to match participant strengths if needed.
- Ability to walk on uneven terrain including up and down hills for up to 1 hour at a time unassisted at a 2 mph pace or to opt out of the activities that require lots of walking
- Participate in 3-4 hours of physical activity a day
- Ability to swim daily in warm public pools (normal bowel and bladder control, no open skin lesions and stable cardiac status)
- Ability to handle own luggage
- Ability to handle stress that can come with international travel
- Enjoyment of group travel, group decision-making processes and flexibility with schedules
- Roundtrip group air travel, ground travel to/from the airport, and trip insurance is required and is not included in program fee
At this time of year temperature in the region range from 40-60 degrees Fahrenheit. May has an average of 18.5 hours of daylight a day. Probability of rain on any day for the month is 52%. We will send a packing list of essentials once the trip is a go.
All OLLI Travel participants must be OLLI members.
*Round-trip group air travel will be arranged through Direct Travel after group minimum is met. Group trip insurance (required) will be provided by Direct Travel along with the group air reservation. Current group air rates starting from $1,000 per person. The lowest group air rates available for your itinerary will be provided. Group transportation arrangements to/from airport still to be determined. Air travel, trip insurance, and ground travel to/from airport are not included in program fee.
“The trip was beautifully planned and very good value for the money. And the food was great!”