We will be exploring the healthcare system of the Netherlands and comparing it to the US system. After arriving in Amsterdam, we will take a 3-hour train ride to Maastricht. We will walk into the center of town to explore the area. Over the weekend, we will visit Fort St Pieter, limestone caves (Napoleon walked there!), and Drielandenpunt where the borders of the Netherlands, Germany, and Belgium meet. We will take the train from Maastricht to Brussels, Belgium to visit the European Parliament. Included in the Maastricht part of the trip will be a visit to the Health Department and the hospital. We take the train back to Amsterdam where we stay at the Stayokay Hostel, Zeeburg. Between presentations by the Ambulance Service, the Amsterdam Medical Center, and a dementia village, are a canal tour, and visits to the Anne Frank House and Zaanse Schans. We will also go to The Hague (Den Haag) to visit the Dutch houses of parliament (Binnenhof). Be prepared for lots of walking!
Travel Study Costs and Fees
Program Fee: $1,574*
If you are admitted to the course, you will receive an email asking you to accept or decline the spot. To accept your spot, you are required to fill out the commitment deposit form and submit a $500 non-refundable deposit within 48 hours. For more information about payment policies and procedures, view the Travel Study Payment Policy.
- In-country transportation
- Student housing accommodations
- Cultural activities and excursions arranged by the lead instructor
- College tuition and fees**, see UVM Student Financial Services
- Airfare, estimated at $1,514
- Cancel for any reason flight insurance (strongly encouraged)
- Baggage fees
- Meals, estimated cost $350
- Vaccinations and any associated costs
- Books and materials
- Passport fees
- Personal and entertainment expenses
- Optional excursions
- Anything not specified as included in the program
*Trip cost subject to change due to unanticipated changes.
**Travel Study courses are regarded as normal UVM courses and as such, normal tuition and fees apply.
Visit the U.S. Department of State website for information regarding country health, safety risks, and laws for Netherlands.