Are there any live sessions during the online section of the course?

There are no live sessions during the online section of the course.

Are there any discounts available for this program?


Are there any scholarships available for this program?

Yes, we have a limited number of $500 scholarships based on financial need that you can apply for during the registration process.

What does a typical day look like during the on campus part?

Topic discussions, guest speakers and field trips.  Short breaks in the am/pm and lunch break.

What is the time commitment per week?

During the on campus section, the time commitment is about 40 hours. For the online component it is about 8-10 hours.

During the on-campus sessions, do I have to stay in the university’s dorms?

We do offer on campus housing with the option of a single or double room. There are also plenty of hotels around the area to make overnight accommodations at.

If I stay in campus housing when is check-in?

For housing check in, all participants should check in at University Heights North, 30 University Heights, Burlington.  The desk is open 8:00am-8:00pm daily.  If you plan to arrive outside this time there will be a staffer on call to check folks in at the front desk.  The number to call is 802-656-5550.

There will be outdoor signs directing people to Summer Housing Check-In directing people to University Heights North.  If you need a parking permit while staying on campus you will be able to get it at the front desk when you check in.

What types of assignments will we be asked to complete?

Read assigned articles, watch assign videos, and participate in the discussion boards.

Are materials included? If yes, how are they distributed?

All course materials are included in the price and will be accessed through Blackboard, our online platform.

Is this program accredited?

Program participants earn a Certificate of Achievement through the University of Vermont Continuing and Distance Education upon successful completion.

Is this a graduate level program?

This program is designed for professionals who are rising leaders, supervisors and managers of all levels. No undergraduate degree is required to participate in the program.  Some of our participants have more advanced degrees.

Do you offer Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for this program?

Yes, we offer 4.2 CEUs  when you complete the program.

continuing education unit (CEU) or continuing education credit (CEC) is a measure used in continuing educationprograms to assist the professional to maintain his or her license in their profession. Continuing education or professional development is required in many fields, including teachers, insurance professionals, interior designers/interior architects, lighting designers, architects, engineers, emergency management professionals, school administrators, educators, nurses, mental health professionals, psychologists and social workers. The continuing education unit is described as ten hours of participation in an education program.

The term CEU is not a trademarked term; therefore, any educational institution may use it to describe their courses. In this regard, there are no requirements for educator qualifications that are attached to each institutions courses when offering CEUs. There have been some bodies created which are attempting to standardize and accredit institutions using the term CEU, the International Association for Continuing Education and Training being one of them; however, professions and industries usually regulate their approved continuing education within their bylaws and not one institute or accrediting body has become a standard to accept in this regard. Professionals should always consult their Association or regulating body prior to embarking on continuing education and not assume a CEU will be accepted as part of their professional development

Do I have to pay for parking?

Yes/No. During registration you can opt for a parking pass, which will be emailed to you.  A parking pass is required on weekdays for on-campus parking. A parking permit is included for those staying on campus.

Is Federal or Institutional Financial Aid available? Also, is tuition remission available for UVM employees?

While this non-credit Certificate does not qualify for federal student grants, loans or University of Vermont scholarships, depending on your home state, this program may qualify for workforce development grants. Contact your State Department of Labor to determine which grants may support individuals seeking education to pursue opportunities for career change. This is a Non-Credit program therefore tuition remission is unavailable for UVM employees. UVM employees may select the 20% discount option available during registration.

The Vermont Legislature designates a certain amount of grant money every year for Vermont residents who want to pursue education or training beyond high school. These grants are administered through the Vermont Student Assistance Corp, (VSAC), and are distributed based on financial need.

Can I enroll in this Certificate if I am an out-of-state or international student? Does the tuition rate differ if I am an out-of-state or international student?

Yes! Anyone may enroll in the program. The tuition rate is set at $1,975 for all students and does not differ based on a student’s residency. You may also apply for a $500 scholarship.

Are payment plans available?

No, we do not have payment plans.

What is the payment policy for this program?

Students may register by paying the full $1,975 program fee online via credit card or by calling us at 802-656-8407 to make a partial payment of $500. Should you make a partial payment, the remaining $1,475 must be paid in full no later than two weeks prior to the start of this offering. If payment is not received by then, you will automatically be dropped from the course the following business day. Refunds will be issued less a $25.00 cancellation fee.

What is the refund policy for this program?

If you need to cancel your attendance, you must notify us via email at noncredit@uvm.edu or call us at (802) 656-8407 at least three business days prior to the start date of the course to receive a full refund, less a $25 cancellation fee. If a medical condition necessitates cancellation/withdrawal (documentation provided), this will be reviewed by our Studies Committee for any type of refund.

Why should I attend this program over others?

The University of Vermont is a recognized leader in the food systems movement, providing you with unique access to hands-on learning and collaboration with scholars, activists, leaders, and professionals in the field. We take you on a journey through every step of the interconnected food system.

Who is this program designed to serve?

Breakthrough Leaders assists with helping those who are or want to become visionary leaders who offer solutions to the social, environmental, diet, and health impacts of our food system. It is for those who wish to expand their capacity to recognize and create positive, forward-looking solutions for our broken food system. And finally this professional certificate program is meant for individuals who want to engage with local sustainability based organizations via site visits and gain a hands-on perspective of community based practices, which have immediate real-world application.

Will I receive a 1098-T for this program?

No, 1098-T forms are not issued for this program. However, you may be eligible for a tax credit without this form if you meet IRS requirements.  For more information, please see this link https://www.irs.gov/individuals/llc or consult with a tax professional.