Legal and Regulatory Compliance in Craft Beer
The alcohol beverage industry is heavily regulated in the United States at the federal, state, and local levels. Staying in compliance is critical for both startups and existing breweries.
The Legal and Regulatory Compliance in Craft Beer course will cover federal and state laws governing the sale of beer, best practices for maintaining compliance, common mistakes, and practical, easy-to-follow advice to keep your brewery or cidery on the right side of the law.
Regardless of whether you are a brewery-in-planning or an operating brewery expanding into new markets, this course will provide you with knowledge and information critical to the launch or long-term success of your brewery and a better understanding of the legal and regulatory landscape. We are dedicated to helping you continue doing what you love—creating and producing your brew.
The 4-week, fully online Legal and Regulatory Compliance in Craft Beer course is taught by Matthew McLaughlin, an attorney who has built his practice around assisting, advising, and representing breweries and distilleries.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- Describe the federal and state licensing requirements and brand registration requirements of breweries
- Identify post-licensing activities that must be reported to federal and state licensing agencies and how to do so
- Recognize impermissible business relationships among participants in the three tiers of manufacturing, distribution, and retail sales and how to avoid these relationships;
- Discuss state franchise and distribution laws and what terms and conditions are found in distribution agreements
- Articulate and implement regulatory compliance best practices
“I have witnessed regulatory issues cause both early stage and later stage breweries considerable time and money. In most situations, delays and unnecessary expense could have been totally avoided with a sound understanding of federal, state, and local regulatory rules and proper planning.”
- Matthew McLaughlin, Founder, McLaughlin PC