Do I have to take the courses in order?

Students begin the certificate program by enrolling in SOC/HDFS 020: Aging – Change and Adaptation. An example course sequence would be:

Students Taking Two Courses Per Year:

Year 1: (1) HDFS/SOC 020 Fall; (2) SOC 120 Spring
Year 2: (3) HLTH 100 or HDFS 221; (4) Elective Course (potentially the other of HLTH 100 or HDFS 221)
Year 3: (5) HDFS 190 Internship (if required of a select student) or Elective Course 2

What are the course requirements?

The Certificate in Gerontology is a 15-credit program, 5 courses: 3 required courses and 2 elective courses. *Please note, some students may be required to take HDFS 190 (Internship) if they do not have prior experience working with elders or in a related field. All courses are 3 credits unless otherwise noted.

Do I have to apply to the Certificate in Gerontology?

Yes. You can apply by completing the online application form. Click the ‘Apply Now’ button at the top of this page or follow this link. Be prepared to provide:

  • Professional/educational history
  • Personal Statement of 250 words or fewer describing your interest in the Gerontology Program

If you have any questions about the application process feel free to contact us at (802) 656-2085 or by email at learn@uvm.edu

What does the Certificate in Gerontology cost?

To view the Continuing Education estimated tuition and fees rates for the 2019/2020 academic year, please visit the Student Financial Services website here: http://www.uvm.edu/studentfinancialservices/continuing_education_tuition_and_fees

Summer tuition is offered at a discounted rate.  Information can be found at the Student Financial Services website here:  http://www.uvm.edu/studentfinancialservices/summer_university_tuition_and_fees

Is financial aid available for this program?

You can view information about financial aid opportunities and find out if you qualify by working with UVM’s Student Financial Services office. Please visit the Student Financial Services website here: http://www.uvm.edu/studentfinancialservices/types_aid_and_how_apply

Can I complete this program as an international student?

The University cannot issue immigration documents for entry to the US for purposes of enrolling in credit courses as a non-degree student, thus you will not be able to complete this program.

Can the Certificate in Gerontology be completed entirely online?

Certificate in Gerontology courses are available online and on campus; however, to complete all the required courses students will need to enroll in some on-campus courses in Burlington, Vermont.