Ecological Agriculture Student Leads ‘Bee Campus’ Effort

Peter Chlebowski is eager for pollinators to find a home at UVM. The Pennsylvania native, who grew up on a small, seven-acre homestead where his family raises poultry and pigs while growing fruits and vegetables, helped launch the UVM Beekeepers club in April 2016.

The club currently has five honeybee colonies set up in UVM’s Horticulture Farm in South Burlington and plans to transfer the hives to UVM’s Athletic Campus by the end of the academic year. Peter, president of UVM Beekeepers, has plans beyond setting up a permanent home for bees on campus. He and the club helped make UVM a certified “Bee Campus” this winter. Bee Campus USA offers a certification program to eligible campuses to create a habitat for and promote the health of pollinators. UVM is one of 18 Bee Campuses and the only one in New England.

We talked to Peter, an Ecological Agriculture major, about beekeeping in Vermont, plans for farmsteading in the future, and the joy of fungi.

uvm-beekeepers

The UVM Beekeepers is an on-campus club dedicated to promoting pollinator health. Why did you decide to help establish UVM Beekeepers?

I was a student at Ithaca College studying environmental science when I decided to transfer to UVM my sophomore year. When I arrived at UVM, I soon realized there wasn’t any kind of beekeeping club here. I had been keeping bees personally for four years and thought more people should know about them, considering that about one out of every three bites you eat is made possible by pollinators.

You were at Ithaca before coming to UVM. What made you decide to transfer to UVM?

The mountains drew me here, as well as the ecological nature of Vermont. I wanted to study something that could be hands-on and make a difference in food systems and climate change.

What do you enjoy most about beekeeping?

Bees are very interesting animals with their own society in their hives. Their social structure is highly efficient, and a single bee cannot survive on its own. I enjoy watching the colony grow and develop over time, as well as harvest some honey now and then.

How do you care for bees in the winter?

It’s more about what you do before the winter that really matters. It’s recommended that you provide 60 pounds of honey per hive in Vermont during the winter. We insulated the hives and made sure they didn’t have any mice. We’ll wait before we go into the hives this spring until there is nectar flowing so the bees have the ability to rebuild whatever has been disrupted. If we go in too early, it stresses them out.

Your other interests include horticulture, foraging, as well as mushroom cultivation and identification. You would ultimately like to have your own permaculture farm/homestead. Why are you passionate about self-sufficiency and sustainability?

I love food, and I really love locally produced food. I want to be self-sufficient rather than depend on companies and grocery stores. People tend to be disconnected from their food, which is unfortunate. By having a connection to your food, you can better understand your role in the ecosystem.

Tell us about your interest in foraging and fungi.

I have been foraging for a considerable amount of time starting when I spent time in the woods as a kid. Back home, a close friend of mine is an expert in mushroom identification, and I eventually got into cultivation. This past year I really started to dive into it more. In the fall, I attended the Radical Mycology Convergence, which included five days of workshops, presentations, and mycoremediation installations. One of the interesting things about cultivating mushrooms is that you can grow mushrooms on hay, coffee grounds, and agriculture waste, and that mushrooms can be included in a permaculture set up. In Vermont, I was surprised at the variety of fungi here. The cool thing about this kingdom of life is that they live in a very decentralized system and are found all over the world.

What are your plans after graduation?

I‘m considering graduate school and want to have my own homestead down the road. We have a plot of family land in Maine, so I’m planning to put some elements of permaculture there, such as beehives, mushroom logs, trees, and an orchard. I’m also very interested in working overseas or in other countries to look into foreign agricultural systems and see how I can help.

Learn more about the UVM Beekeepers.

Visit learn.uvm.edu to learn about food system and sustainability programs at UVM.

Posted in: Environmental, UVM
Tags: , , .

106 Responses to Ecological Agriculture Student Leads ‘Bee Campus’ Effort

1. JamesTat says:

Lose up to 23 pounds of pure body fat in just 3 weeks!, how did i do that?
    The 3 Week Diet is an extreme rapid weight loss program that can help you lose up to 23 pounds of pure body fat in just 3 weeks! Get your customized diet plan from our official website and find out which foods you should be eating if you want to burn your belly fat away fast! Created by acclaimed personal trainer and nutritionist Brian Flatt, The 3 Week Diet is 100% guaranteed to deliver results!
    look great? dont waste your time! lets do this, join with us and bet back your beautiful body at here:

http://tinyurl.com/jblsnuj

Thx

2. I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.
    http://learninghints.eu

3. stock quotes says:

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will certainly comeback.
    http://financehint.eu

4. Excellent write-up. I definitely love this website. Thanks!
    http://financepoints.eu

5. If some one wishes to be updated with most up-to-date technologies then he must be pay a visit this site and be up to date all the time.
    http://learningtips.eu

6. I relish, cause I found exactly what I used to be having a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye
    http://educationtips.eu

7. I used to be suggested this web site through my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else recognize such specified approximately my difficulty. You’re amazing! Thanks!
    http://healthhints.eu

8. Its not my first time to pay a quick visit this web page, i am browsing this web page dailly and get nice data from here all the time.
    http://healthhints.eu

9. Does your website have a contact page? I’m having trouble locating it but, I’d like to shoot you an e-mail. I’ve got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.
    http://healthhints.eu

10. I read your post and it’s very interesting as well as very useful for me.

11. Your style is very unique in comparison to other people I have read stuff from. I appreciate you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this page.

12. Nice weblog here! Also your site quite a bit up very fast! What web host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink in your host? I desire my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

13. I absolutely love your blog and find the majority of your post’s to be just what I’m looking for. Do you offer guest writers to write content in your case? I wouldn’t mind writing a post or elaborating on a number of the subjects you write concerning here. Again, awesome blog!

14. When someone writes an paragraph he/she maintains the thought of a user in his/her mind that how a user can understand it. Thus that’s why this article is amazing. Thanks!

15. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly return.

16. Incredible points. Sound arguments. Keep up the good effort.

17. There is certainly a lot to find out about this subject. I really like all the points you’ve made.

18. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is wonderful blog. An excellent read.

19. Hi there to every one, it’s really a good for me to pay a visit this site, it includes precious Information.

20. Naman Modi says:

I really think that this guy has done a great job. Yo bro!! you can do it. Awesome initiative bro.

21. Shriti Kalra says:

Shop Ratlami Namkeen at:
    https://jalaramsweets.com/

22. Shriti Kalra says:

Bees like to eat Sev. Shop it at:
    https://jalaramsweets.com/

23. Google says:

Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a few unrelated data, nonetheless genuinely really worth taking a appear, whoa did one particular master about Mid East has got a lot more problerms at the same time.

24. we prefer to honor lots of other internet web pages on the web, even though they aren

25. Every when inside a although we select blogs that we read. Listed below would be the newest web-sites that we choose

26. that is the finish of this article. Right here you

27. Big tities says:

very few websites that happen to become comprehensive beneath, from our point of view are undoubtedly very well worth checking out

28. couples ring says:

just beneath, are quite a few absolutely not associated web sites to ours, on the other hand, they’re certainly worth going over

29. very few websites that take place to be detailed beneath, from our point of view are undoubtedly nicely really worth checking out

30. although web-sites we backlink to beneath are considerably not associated to ours, we feel they’re truly worth a go by, so possess a look

31. please check out the websites we comply with, such as this one, because it represents our picks through the web

32. Google says:

Always a big fan of linking to bloggers that I adore but do not get a lot of link appreciate from.

33. In India, there is very unique way of beekeeping..
    Thanks for sharing with us.

34. one of our visitors a short while ago encouraged the following website

35. Google says:

Here are some hyperlinks to internet sites that we link to because we consider they may be worth visiting.

36. kegel says:

Here are a number of the web pages we advise for our visitors

37. very couple of web-sites that come about to become in depth below, from our point of view are undoubtedly well really worth checking out

38. below you will obtain the link to some sites that we feel you need to visit

39. always a huge fan of linking to bloggers that I really like but do not get a lot of link love from

40. vacuum pump says:

check below, are some totally unrelated internet sites to ours, having said that, they may be most trustworthy sources that we use

41. the time to study or check out the content material or internet sites we have linked to below the

42. Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine some unrelated data, nonetheless seriously worth taking a search, whoa did a single discover about Mid East has got much more problerms also

43. Sites of interest we have a link to

44. swann morton says:

below you will obtain the link to some web-sites that we assume you should visit

45. Google says:

Usually posts some incredibly exciting stuff like this. If you are new to this site.

46. Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine several unrelated data, nonetheless truly worth taking a search, whoa did one find out about Mid East has got much more problerms too

47. zand game says:

Sites of interest we’ve a link to

48. check below, are some totally unrelated internet websites to ours, having said that, they are most trustworthy sources that we use

49. below you will obtain the link to some web sites that we feel you need to visit

50. Google says:

Here are some hyperlinks to web-sites that we link to for the reason that we assume they are really worth visiting.

51. Google says:

The time to study or go to the content or sites we have linked to below.

52. fredericario says:

very few web sites that come about to be in depth beneath, from our point of view are undoubtedly very well really worth checking out

53. although sites we backlink to below are considerably not related to ours, we really feel they may be truly really worth a go by way of, so have a look

54. check below, are some absolutely unrelated internet sites to ours, having said that, they’re most trustworthy sources that we use

55. psychic says:

that may be the finish of this article. Here you will obtain some sites that we believe you

56. that would be the end of this write-up. Here you

57. Google says:

Always a massive fan of linking to bloggers that I enjoy but don

58. always a massive fan of linking to bloggers that I really like but do not get a good deal of link love from

59. here are some hyperlinks to web-sites that we link to simply because we assume they may be really worth visiting

60. African news says:

Every when in a though we decide on blogs that we read. Listed beneath are the most up-to-date websites that we select

61. pesni says:

please pay a visit to the sites we follow, such as this a single, as it represents our picks in the web

62. one of our visitors just lately recommended the following website

63. although websites we backlink to below are considerably not connected to ours, we really feel they are really really worth a go as a result of, so have a look

64. the time to read or go to the subject material or web pages we have linked to below the

65. just beneath, are several entirely not related sites to ours, having said that, they are surely really worth going over

66. Indian hair says:

one of our visitors not too long ago advised the following website

67. Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a number of unrelated information, nevertheless actually really worth taking a appear, whoa did one particular understand about Mid East has got far more problerms also

68. check below, are some completely unrelated sites to ours, however, they’re most trustworthy sources that we use

69. we came across a cool internet site that you may appreciate. Take a appear if you want

70. below you will uncover the link to some sites that we consider you ought to visit

71. check below, are some completely unrelated internet sites to ours, on the other hand, they may be most trustworthy sources that we use

72. we came across a cool internet site which you might appreciate. Take a appear in case you want

73. Hydroquinone says:

below you will find the link to some sites that we think it is best to visit

74. web says:

although internet websites we backlink to beneath are considerably not associated to ours, we feel they may be essentially worth a go by way of, so have a look

75. usually posts some quite interesting stuff like this. If you are new to this site

76. very couple of sites that transpire to be comprehensive below, from our point of view are undoubtedly well worth checking out

77. we prefer to honor quite a few other net internet sites around the net, even though they aren

78. Google says:

Very couple of internet sites that transpire to be comprehensive below, from our point of view are undoubtedly nicely really worth checking out.

79. Google says:

We prefer to honor numerous other world wide web web sites around the net, even when they aren

80. we prefer to honor numerous other world-wide-web web-sites on the internet, even when they aren

81. quizhow says:

Here is an excellent Blog You might Come across Intriguing that we Encourage You

82. Google says:

Here are some of the internet sites we recommend for our visitors.

83. Google says:

Usually posts some incredibly intriguing stuff like this. If you are new to this site.

84. that would be the end of this report. Here you will obtain some internet sites that we consider you

85. check below, are some entirely unrelated internet sites to ours, nonetheless, they’re most trustworthy sources that we use

86. Beratung says:

we like to honor quite a few other internet web pages on the internet, even though they aren

87. Zuma Plush says:

Every the moment in a even though we opt for blogs that we read. Listed beneath would be the newest web pages that we pick

88. we like to honor several other world wide web web pages around the internet, even when they aren

89. Google says:

Although sites we backlink to beneath are considerably not related to ours, we feel they may be truly worth a go by means of, so have a look.

90. Google says:

Usually posts some really fascinating stuff like this. If you are new to this site.

91. Google says:

We came across a cool web-site that you just may possibly get pleasure from. Take a appear when you want.

92. just beneath, are quite a few entirely not connected web-sites to ours, nevertheless, they are certainly really worth going over

93. Every the moment inside a although we choose blogs that we study. Listed below would be the most recent web-sites that we choose

94. Google says:

Here is a great Blog You may Discover Intriguing that we encourage you to visit.

95. we came across a cool website that you just might love. Take a search for those who want

96. here are some hyperlinks to web-sites that we link to because we believe they’re really worth visiting

97. here are some links to websites that we link to mainly because we consider they are really worth visiting

98. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your site when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

99. FS 19 mods says:

Sites of interest we have a link to

100. xxnxx says:

check below, are some entirely unrelated websites to ours, nonetheless, they’re most trustworthy sources that we use

101. Sites of interest we’ve a link to

102. usually posts some really fascinating stuff like this. If you are new to this site