About EE 261 A

Energy band theory, effective mass, band structure and electronic properties of semiconductors. Transport of electrons and holes in bulk materials and across interfaces. MOSFETs, BJTs, pn junctions, and Schottky barriers. Prerequisite: EE 120 or Graduate Student standing.

Notes

Prereqs enforced by the system: EE 120 or Graduate Student standing. Computer Systems Elective; Cross listed with PHYS 295A 15882; Open to Degree and CDE Students.

Section Description

COURSE DESCRIPTION: Energy band theory, effective mass, band structure and electronic properties of semiconductors. Transport of electrons and holes in bulk materials and across interfaces. MOSFETs, BJTs, pn junctions, and Schottky barriers. Unit processes, process integration. Prerequisite: EE 120 or Graduate Student standing. Mode: This course will be held in person There will be a project/extended assignment in this class where you will be expected to collaborate either in person or remotely with you partner. Each member must demonstrate equal technical and project contribution.

Section Expectation

Textbook(Required): “Solid State Electronic Devices, 7th Edition.”, Streetman & Banerjee. ISBN-13: 978-0133356038, ISBN-10: 0133356035. Materials(required) Access to laptop/computer with MATLAB and remote desktop capability (https://www.uvm.edu/cems/virtual-lab)

Evaluation

Grading: Your course grade will be determined as follows: Quizzes/HW 30% Extended Project 20% Three cumulative in-class exams 50% Student performance evaluation: - HW assignments: HW from the textbook will be assigned and graded P/F. You are encouraged to work together on HW assignments. You shall indicate with whom you collaborated on your submitted HW. You shall not work with people outside of the class to complete the HW. Performance on the quizzes and exams is dependent on your diligence in doing the HW. Doing homework is essential to performing well in this class. - Quizzes: Will be online and given regularly. Two will be dropped from your average. They will be largely based on the homework. One hour will be allotted once you open the quiz. Quizzes are due on Friday 5pm of the following week. You can use any materials to complete the quiz, books, online searches. You are not allowed to ask help from anyone other than me. Any violation of this will be immediately the purview of the chairman of the department and the academic dean of the college. - Exams: Three in-class exams will be given: two during the midterm and one during finals week all weighted the same. They will be completed synchronously and assistance will be available through MS Teams. They will be cumulative in nature. - Project/report: a research project will be assigned. You chose from a set of topics to research using outside publications and peer-reviewed journals. Your report will be publication quality and adhere to standard manuscript requirements (https://journals.ieeeauthorcenter.ieee.org/submit-your-article-for-peer-review/the-ieee-article-submission-process/) o For graduate students: In addition to the project report graduate students will be expected to describe their paper in a 30 minute presentation. The presentation should be followed by a quiz or poll to determine whether the class understood the material.

Course Dates

to

Location

Perkins Building 300 (View Campus Map)

Times

to on Tuesday and Thursday

Important Dates

Note: These dates may change before registration begins.

Note: These dates may not be accurate for select courses during the Summer Session.

Deadlines
Last Day to Add
Last Day to Drop
Last Day to Withdraw with 50% Refund
Last Day to Withdraw with 25% Refund
Last Day to Withdraw

Resources

    There are no courses that meet this criteria.