About SOC 020 A

Individual and social meanings of aging and old age; physical, physiological, psychological, and sociological changes accompanying aging; individual, family, community, and societal adaptations to aging. Cross-listed with: HDFS 020.


Open to Degree and CDE students; Cross listed with HDFS 020 for a total of 55 combined enrollment

Section Description

HDFS 020/SOC 020 (this is one course that is cross-listed such that students may sign up under HDFS 020 or SOC 020) is an interdisciplinary course that aims to introduce students to the study of aging. Through lectures, in-class discussions, assigned readings and other assigned materials, and various in and out of class activities and assignments, students will be introduced to and have the opportunity to learn about common biological, psychological and sociological changes associated with aging. Students will also gain knowledge about individual, family, community, and societal level adaptations that may occur in response to these changes; individual and social meanings of aging and old age; and the form of ageism that negatively affects people in old age and influences attitudes, policies and practices related to old age.

Section Expectation

Students are expected to attend class sessions; participate in class discussions; complete any in class quizzes, exams and other required activities and assignments presented as part of class sessions; and complete any required as well as select optional out of class activities and assignments as assigned and in the required time frame. Major activities and assignments likely to be included as required parts of this course are: two in-class exams and a final exam (expected to be primarily multiple choice with the potential for a few short-answer, matching and/or essay questions), and one out of class activity and related assignment involving interaction with a select senior and reflecting in writing and in other ways on that senior's experiences and perspectives in light of course materials.


Approximately 60% of the final course grade will be based on exams. It is estimated that the remaining 40% of the grade will be based on 20% class participation and in and out of class miscellaneous assignments (including miscellaneous in class quizzes that may or may not be announced in advance), and 20% quality of the out of class activity and related assignment. All assignments, in-class quizzes, class activities, and exams have the main purpose of fostering students' learning and understanding of course material, with a secondary aim of assessing this learning and understanding. At times, in and out of class assignments may be primarily designed to identify areas of misunderstanding that will be used to inform the teaching of the course.

Course Dates



L/L Commons 216 (View Campus Map)


to on Monday and Wednesday

Important Dates

Note: These dates may change before registration begins.

Note: These dates may not be accurate for select courses during the Summer Session.

Last Day to Add
Last Day to Drop
Last Day to Withdraw with 50% Refund
Last Day to Withdraw with 25% Refund
Last Day to Withdraw


    There are no courses that meet this criteria.