- Attend an info session to learn more.
- Select an area of focus or geographic location
- Contact CDE advisor, Alessandra Capossela, with any questions you may have.
- Contact the partner organization(s) that offer internship or service-learning placements that you are interested in for more information about available options and to begin the application process. Please note that the deadline for applications for most of the organizations will be between March 1 and March 15.
- Register for the online International Internship and Service-Learning course through UVM. You can take this 3-credit course for either CDAE or GRS credit at the 100-level.
Program Fees: Program fees vary based on geographic location, but range from $3,750 to $5,500 for an eight-week internship. The program fee includes internship placement, housing, local staff support for the duration of your in-country experience, social events with students from other universities and regions of the world, and occasional weekend group excursions. The program fee is paid directly to the internship organization.
Tuition: Students who choose to take the 3-credit online summer course through UVM will be charged the summer tuition rate (a 30% discount on academic-year tuition rate).
Not included: Airfare, meals, visas, spending money.
Internship vs. Service-Learning
What is the difference between an internship and a service-learning placement? One of our partner organizations, ISA-ELAP, explains it this way:
Internships allow you to focus on professional development and the advancement of skills relevant to your field of study.
Service-learning allows you to participate in activities that are relevant to the local community and engages you in civic learning through systematic community involvement. There is also opportunity for critical reflection that contributes to overall personal growth and cultural competency.
Not sure whether an internship or service learning is right for you? Contact CDE advisor Alessandra Capossela, at firstname.lastname@example.org, to talk more about the options available.