Summer Medical Program
Are you planning to apply to medical school? The UVM Larner College of Medicine Summer Medical School Prep program can help prepare you for the revised MCAT, build your clinical experience with formal shadowing and medical simulation center activities, and provide you practice and feedback on essential interviewing skills. The program is designed, run, and taught by College of Medicine Teaching Academy faculty highly accomplished in medical education.
Students who successfully complete the program will be provided with a detailed personalized assessment document to support their application when they apply to medical school.
Current UVM Medical students will serve as personal mentors throughout the program.
Supplemental tutoring by current UVM Larner College of Medicine students and faculty will be provided as needed.
Throughout the program students will:
- Expand clinical experiences by participating in organized shadowing opportunities with physicians in various specialties at UVM Medical Center and the UVM Medical Center Network including in emergency medicine, pathology, radiology, primary care, community medicine, and more.
- Practice for medical school interviews at one of the most selective medical programs in the country through mock multiple mini interviews (MMIs) with feedback to improve interview skills.
- Perform virtual medical procedures in the University of Vermont’s state-of-the-art medical simulation center.
- Prepare for the revised MCAT with didactic sessions and practice questions integrating all areas covered on the MCAT including: Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems; Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems; Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior; Scientific Inquiry and Reasoning Skills; and Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills.
- Develop critical reasoning skills and achieve higher-order learning through active team-based and flipped classroom experiences taught by faculty who teach UVM medical students in the College of Medicine’s high-tech Larner classroom and other integrated learning environments.
- Learn to balance the demands of medical school by developing essential time-management skills and individual approaches to wellness.