Project Management Overview
A successful project is one that meets the desired results, is on time and within budget. Project Management is one of the most important skills needed in today’s fast-paced business environment. The ability to effectively manage projects is a critical skill.
Project management is one of the business world’s most in-demand skill sets. It’s also among the fastest-growing professional disciplines in North America. That’s because even the smallest projects can benefit from project management processes such as planning, time and cost management, scope management, human resource management, and communications management.
UVM’s Project Management Professional Certificate provides the tools and techniques to improve the approaches and outcomes of project managers. Become a more effective project manager through this interactive, case-based program.
Over five day-long seminars you will explore and experiment with the tools and best practices of formal project management training, learn how to implement effective processes and manage change, improve your ability to lead and managing teams, become better prepared to recognize and communicate project risk and manage difficult projects.
UVM works closely with the Project Management Institute Champlain Valley Chapter to provide this training opportunity.
After completing this series of interactive seminars participants will:
- Have an immediate positive impact on existing projects and workplace processes
- Improve communications between all stakeholders
- Develop techniques to effectively manage change
- Develop an advanced set of tools to plan all aspect of a project
- Document lessons learned from a project and formally close it
- Utilize tools effectively to monitor project progress and present out on the project status
- Implement effective processes for initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing successful projects
- Develop a network of peers outside your organization to support you in your efforts as a project manager.
Realizing that most management activities are project-based, learn to plan and scope projects that stay on time and on budget to better launch products, process innovations, and other growth initiatives.
Continuous improvement of your skills in project management increases your value to your employer and provides you the framework for greater career success.
Project management skills are essential for individual and organizational excellence and are a key differentiator for gaining a competitive advantage.
Successful implementation of project management methods, processes, and practices improves the chance of completing projects to the satisfaction of key stakeholders by staying within the constraints of time, cost and scope.
In today’s job market, higher-level credentials and advanced certifications are sought after by organizations seeking to leverage project management as a means to obtain strategic goals.
Demand for project management is poised for tremendous growth and rising salaries. The US Department of Labor Statistics reports that:
- Four out of five organizations are struggling to find project managers to fill openings
- Within the next 10 years, a projected 1.57 million new jobs will be created in project management
- The median salary for project managers in the U.S. is $100,000, and PMP-certified project managers have increased salary potential.
Who should attend
- Anyone who manages projects and has had no formal project management training
- Experienced project managers who wish to stay current or refresh their skills
- Beginning project managers and project team members
- Individuals involved with initiating, planning, executing and facilitating projects
- Team leaders, project and program leaders, functional and operations managers