Epidemiology Graduate Certificate
Study the Language of Public Health
UVM’s online Certificate of Graduate Study in Epidemiology introduces students to the foundations and language of public health through the study of epidemiology.
Epidemiology is a basic science of public health used to study disease and health patterns, causes and effects within specific populations or communities. UVM’s Certificate of Graduate Study in Epidemiology is an 18-credit, online graduate program is a concise immersion into the field of epidemiology and quantitative population health science.
This one-year online program is a collaboration of the College of Medicine, Continuing and Distance Education, and the UVM Graduate College. Graduate students and professionals can take this as a stand-alone program or as part of a master’s, MD, or PhD program.
Leading the Way to Public Health Education
The focus of this program is on providing students with a framework for problem solving and critical thinking in analyzing disease and health-related conditions within a given population and includes disease outbreak investigation, prevention, and control; and applied research methods in public health.
Our program teaches you to:
- Define a population, especially in terms of disease risk
- Describe the different ways to express disease frequency in a given population
- Apply basic concepts of probability, random variation, and commonly used statistical distributions in data analysis.
- Understand the methods used in public health surveillance and disease outbreak investigation
- Evaluate, promote, and improve health across populations
- Explain barriers to public health and discuss health-promotion strategies
- Prepare for further graduate study or research in public health and related fields
Have questions about Public Health Programs? Call 802-656-2085 or email us today!