Food Hub Management Certificate Program
UVM’s Food Hub Management Professional Certificate Program – the first of its kind in the country – is an innovative blend of hands-on, community-based, online and on-campus learning that will prepare you for effective management of food hubs and provide you with essential tools to advance your career in food systems.
Develop Essential Knowledge & Skills
- Business Planning & Assessment
- Market Development & Value Chain Facilitation
- Product Development, Marketing, & Sales
- Purchasing & Supply Chain Management
- Processing and Distribution
- Facility/Warehouse Management
- HR, Staffing, & Communication
- Food Safety and Risk Management
Space is limited to a select group of 25 individuals.
“This Food Hub Management Program will provide practical training while building a community of skilled practitioners.”
-Ann Karlen, Executive Director, Fair Food Philly
Who should apply?
- Individuals planning to create, lead, and/or manage a food hub.
- Those with food hub experience and passion for a career in food systems who are looking for their next step.
- Professionals seeking to enhance or change their career to a focus on the sustainable food market.
- Staff members who are poised for leadership development within enterprises meeting the increasing demand for regionally sourced good food.
How the Program Works
A four-month option covers the fundamentals. The full, ten-month certificate program builds upon the fundamentals with participants completing a community-based project and a capstone session in Vermont.
Week One in Vermont
As a UVM Food Hub student you will join your classmates in Vermont—a recognized hot spot for community-based food systems—for the week of January 12-16, 2015, to build relationships, leadership capacity, entrepreneurial acumen, and a basic understanding of what it takes to effectively manage a food hub.
With guidance from the most experienced practitioners in the field, you will continue your learning online – on your schedule – to hone the management and operational skills that make the difference for successful and high-impact enterprises.
Food Hub Management Action Project
You will complete a personalized action project to develop your own enterprise or learn directly from a mentor in the field. Throughout the project, you’ll stay connected with your peers and experts online with regular group check-ins.
Final Week for Presentations & Graduation in Vermont
Return for the final week of class in Vermont to share lessons you’ve learned, present your work, gain additional insights, strengthen your network, and receive your professional certificate.