Join UVM Jazz Faculty member Clyde Stats and UVM Lane Series Director Natalie Neuert for an exciting
Musical and Cultural Immersion: A Week in New Orleans
Dates: April 7 – 14, 2014
Number of participants: 18 maximum, 14 minimum
Deadline to register: September 3, 2013 (early registration deadline is due to the very high demand on good hotel rooms during the French Quarter Festival. We must commit early to secure our lodging.)
REGISTRATION WILL OPEN ON JUNE 26. PLEASE REVISIT THIS PAGE THEN TO REGISTER.
We’ll be there during the lively neighborhood-based French Quarter Festival, when the Crescent City’s music scene is even more prolific then usual! And with Clyde and Natalie to guide us, we’ll learn about jazz, brass bands, Mardi Gras Indians, Cajun, and Zydeco music, as well as the history and culture of this most unique of American cities. We’ll be staying in the lovely Hotel Maison Dupuy, located conveniently on a quiet side street right in the French Quarter – a perfect base to explore America’s most diverse and unique city. The trip also includes some wonderful meals showcasing the great regional cuisine, an opportunity to participate in a service activity, and a boardwalk through the bayou where we’ll see wildlife (gators!). There will also be time to explore the French Quarter, Garden District, and other neighborhoods on your own. We’ll provide ideas for dining, museums, book shops, and antiquing so you can feel free to pursue a variety of interests in smaller groups or solo.
Price of Trip: $2,000 per person, double occupancy. $525 single supplement ($75.00 per night). Note: if you are a single person who would like to request a roommate to avoid the single supplement, please choose that option on the registration form. We will do our best to fulfill this request but cannot guarantee it.
- Hotel (7 nights)
- One breakfast (morning after arrival day)
- 5 group lunches
- 5 group dinners
- Admissions/entry fees to museums and other planned activities
- Van transportation to activities outside of city
- Streetcar pass
- Lecture and discussion on music and culture by Clyde Stats and Natalie Neuert
Price does not include:
- Airfare (currently running at around $450 per person round trip from Burlington)
- Airport transfer/taxi (can share with group)
- 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners, all alcohol (note: we are not allowed to provide any alcoholic beverages due to UVM policy)
Regarding airfare/plane reservations: Once the trip is a “go,” we will notify participants and suggest the flight and airline to book. Do not book the flight until we give you the GO! There will be the option to use the UVM Travel Agent to help with this process. We would like everyone to arrive by mid-afternoon on April 7.
We highly suggest purchasing trip insurance because of strict cancellation policy (detailed on registration form).
Requirements for trip:
- Reasonable degree of physical fitness and stamina: there will be walking on uneven terrain and cobblestones at times.
- Participants must be able to handle their own luggage,* climb a few flights of stairs and walk on uneven surfaces from three blocks up to one mile at a 2 mph pace over the course of the day.
- Enjoyment of group travel, group decision making process, and flexibility with schedules.
- Ability to handle the stress that can come with travel.
*We please ask that you pack very lightly into one rolling carry-on bag. We will send a packing list of essentials once the trip is a go.