OLLI at UVM and OLLI at University of Alaska/Fairbanks invite you to an unforgettable adventure to Alaska!
June 15 – 26, 2012
Deadline to Register: March 1, 2012
Number of participants: 18 minimum/24 maximum
Join Lane Series Director Natalie Neuert and OLLI at UVM members on an unforgettable trip to Alaska during the summer solstice when the days are long, the weather temperate, and the learning/fun/adventure exceptional! We’ll be hosted by our OLLI compatriots from the University of Alaska at Fairbanks where the trip begins. We will also travel by bus, train, and boat to Denali National Park, the charming town of Talkeetna, Anchorage, and Seward/Kenai Penninsula. There will be lectures by experts on wildlife, culture, ecology, native peoples; visits to many interesting museums, botanical gardens, glaciers, National Parks, and preserves; exceptional scenery to photograph or just experience; and more.
The price of the trip is $3,400 and includes:
- 11 Nights Lodging (double occupancy. Single supplement is available for an additional cost of $750)
- In-country transportation by comfortable bus and train
- All meals
- All museum and attraction admissions
- Lectures, Tours, and Educational activities
- River and Resurrection Bay Boat Tours
The trip does not include airfare. Once we’ve met our minimum registrations we will notify participants and suggest the flight and airline to book. There will be the option to use the UVM Travel Agent to help with this process. Important note: The flights will be booked as “open jaw” which means you will fly into Fairbanks, and out of Anchorage. There is no added expense for this kind of booking in Alaska, but we highly recommend using Angie – the UVM agent at Accent Travel. She can be reached for questions at 802-872-5644.
Travel insurance is also highly recommended and Angie can help with that.
Admission & Participation Policy
The granting or denial of admission to a program is within the sole discretion of OLLI at UVM. OLLI at UVM may revoke admission or limit or terminate participation at any time if, in the opinion of OLLI at UVM, a participant’s condition, behavior or actions are problematic, inappropriate or disruptive. OLLI at UVM reserves the right to take action as needed on an individual or group basis when, in OLLI at UVM’s sole opinion, the health, safety or well-being of participants requires such action.
Although we will be staying in comfortable lodging and driving in vans to our destinations, we want to be clear that this is an adventure vacation, requiring a degree of self-sufficiency. To that end, we’d like to be clear about the demands of this trip so that we can create an experience that is positive for you as well as all members of the group. We are happy to talk to you in person or on the phone if you have any questions about these requirements. We may also call you if we need further information.
Please read the following regarding the trip and make sure this trip is a good match for you:
- Reasonable degree of physical fitness and stamina: there will be walking on uneven terrain at times.
- Ability to handle your own luggage.
- Ability to climb a few flights of stairs and walk on uneven surfaces from three blocks up to one mile at a 2 mph pace over the course of the day.
- Enjoyment of group travel, group decision making process, and flexibility with schedules.
- Ability to handle the stress that can come with travel.