Dear OLLI Members,
What a wonderful year we’ve had! Our OLLI of UVM total membership is fast approaching the 1,000 mark! Thanks to the hard work of OLLI member volunteers around the state for putting together such intellectually stimulating and thought provoking programs. Overall we offer more than 250 courses, lectures and events each year!
Last winter OLLI at UVM travelled to Quebec City where 16 members experienced a German-style Christmas Market, delicious cuisine, art, museums, and explored the architecture and history of Quebec.
In April OLLI members returned from an 8 day trip to New Orleans for a musical and cultural immersion during the lively neighborhood-based French Quarter Festival.
And just last weekend, we traveled to Bleu Lavande in Stanstead, Quebec for an aromatic tour of the lavender farm, a ‘Cordon Bleu” cooking demonstration, and lots of free sampling!
Our statewide OLLIs from Newport to Brattleboro continue to offer engaging lectures and discussion. A sampling of recent topics include:
- Philosophies and Psychologies of Happiness (Brattleboro)
- Eyewitness to History: Politicians, the Press and Elections (Central VT)
- Winter Poems by Robert Frost (Lamoille Valley)
- Hinduism and the Bhagavad-Gita: Discovering the Sacred in Life (Newport)
- The First Amendment: Speech, Prayer and Privacy in the US Supreme Court (Rutland)
- Amelia Earhart Flies into History (Springfield)
- John Paul Jones, Picked in Rum (St. Albans)
- Even Boomers Grow Older – or It Only Gets Worse (St. Johnsbury)
What a diverse array of programs!
In April, our new Program Planner, Krista Hamel, and I attended the OLLI National Conference in Carlsbad, California. There we shared our best practices in resource development, membership, curriculum, faculty and teaching and other topics. In addition, the conference featured reports on new and innovative trends, ideas, and programs related to education for older learners.
We held our annual OLLI statewide meeting in Montpelier in June this year. Site leaders and reps gathered to share best practices, recommend speakers, provide updates, and review procedures.
We look forward to a full and vibrant Fall semester. Thank you for participating in OLLI and enriching our programs. Continue to help get the word out about OLLI and encourage your friends, family and neighbors to join our growing community of Vermont lifelong learners!
Director, OLLI of the University of Vermont