UVM Continuing and Distance Education | your doorway to academic excellence

Help and FAQs

Prospective StudentsCurrent Students

I am interested in returning to school. How do I get started? It’s as easy as registering for a course that interests you. Or, you may want to schedule an appointment with an advisor to review your academic background and explore your options. Hundreds of credit and non-credit courses are offered throughout the year to help you get started.

I am not sure of the courses I want to take. What programs do you offer?
An advisor can help you find a course or program to meet your needs. Every semester, we offer a variety of credit and non-credit courses and programs.

Currently, I am juggling a career and a family. How convenient are your classes?
We understand the challenge of combining work, school, and family. Approximately 75% of our Evening courses meet one night per week; 20% meet two nights per week. Several courses are also offered on Saturdays, in weekend intensives or online. Plus, we offer a variety of non-credit courses in one-day intensive formats or online.

I attended college a few years ago, but didn’t graduate. Will these credits transfer to UVM?
Many credits from other colleges transfer to UVM. An academic advisor will review your previous academic credits and work with UVM’s Transfer Affairs Office to assess how many credits will transfer to UVM and how they can fit into a degree program.
Find out more about transfer credits at http://registrar.uvm.edu/caveat.html

Is Financial Aid available?
Continuing and Distance Education students who are in a required course of study leading to a degree may be eligible for Stafford Loans. In addition, VSAC sponsors a non-degree grant program for eligible students. Read more about financial aid.

What are course sequences or certificates? How can these programs help in my career?
Course sequences or certificates are very appealing to working adults. They give you the opportunity to complete a concentrated series of courses in a specific field. They offer a good way to transition into a new career path or to acquire specific training that can result in professional advancement. Courses in a sequence or certificate can often be applied towards a degree program at UVM.

How will I fit in as an adult student at UVM?
You won’t be alone. Over 1,500 adult and part-time students are enrolled in classes at UVM. Most Evening classes are comprised of both adult students and undergraduate students. All students have access to a wide range of campus and student services.

Are Evening classes the equivalent of those courses offered during the day?
Yes, Evening courses are the same as day courses except that they are offered at a time that is more convenient for students who work during the day. All courses are taught by approved UVM faculty.

What does non-degree mean?
A non-degree student is any student who is not enrolled in a UVM undergraduate or graduate degree program. Non-degree students can be enrolled part time or full time. Non-degree students are also referred to as Continuing and Distance Education students.

How do I obtain Summer Housing?
Summer Housing is available through Res Life. Please seehttp://reslife.uvm.edu/ for more information.

Where do I find out about safety on campus? 
The Annual Public Safety Report and Fire Safety Report (Clery) provide information on campus safety and fire safety policies, practices and programs, as well as information on crime and fire statistics.  These reports can be found at: http://www.uvm.edu/police/?Page=reports/clery/index.html

Current Students

What do I need to do before I go to my first class?
Check out our list of important things to do.

I registered for a course. Will I receive confirmation that my registration has been received?
If you are a new student to UVM (haven’t enrolled in a course in the last 10 years), you will receive a welcome postcard. If you are a returning student, you will receive a welcome email to your UVM email account. These messages contain information that should be read prior to attending your first class.

I am enrolled in a course. However, for personal reasons I have to withdraw or drop the course. What should I do?
Contact 800-639-3210 or 802-656-2085 and ask to speak with an advisor.

How do I get my grade?
Grades are posted online at registrar.uvm.edu.

Will a copy of my grade be sent to me?
No. Paper copies of grades are no longer mailed by the University. Grades are posted online at registrar.uvm.edu.

How can I obtain a UVM transcript?
Go to http://registrar.uvm.edu/transcripts.html to learn how to obtain a transcript.

  • UVM CE facebook
  • UVM CE youtube
  • UVM CE Twitter
  • UVM CE LinkedIn
  • UVM CE on Pitch Engine
UVM Continuing and Distance Education - The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405
Contact UVM | Privacy Policy | © 2015